DR BILL LAING
YEAR OF BIRTH
English, German, (French)
Laing Exploration Pty Ltd - Managing Director
- Principal Consultant Geologist
James Cook University - Honorary Research Fellow
BSc (First Class Hons) (Sydney)
Fellow, Society of Economic Geologists
Fellow, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (Chartered Professional)
Fellow, Australian Institute of Geoscientists
Member, Geological Society of Australia
Member, Australian Society of Geophysicists
- 33 years specialist in Structural Geology, Mineral Exploration and Mining Geology.
- 7 years Company exploration geologist, 11 years University research, 15 years International Consultant.
- Senior Lecturer in Economic Geology at James Cook University 7 years.
- Research published in flagship international journals including Economic Geology and Precambrian Research.
- In the past ten years has pioneered developments in ore systems analysis and geological mapping which are being published in two books (Cambridge University Press).
- International expert in these fields, and recognised world leader in structural analysis of drillcore.
- Co-inventor and commercial manager of Drillcore Orientometer, a device to facilitate structural analysis in drillcore, with exports to ten countries.
- Recent innovations in geological mapping with new Smart Mapping Course series Australia-wide
- Awarded - Honorary Research Fellowship of James Cook University
- entry in Who's Who in Australasia and the Pacific
- entry in Australian Men and Women of Science, Engineering and Technology
- 59 Course presentations in 5 continents, to a total of 953 mining professionals.
- Postgraduate supervisor to Doctoral and Master of Science students at James Cook University
- 110 consultancies world-wide to 73 client corporations, on 92 ore deposits and mines.
- Clients include Iscor South Africa, Getty Oil, Amoco Minerals, Shell, Billiton, Placer, CRA, Rio Tinto, BHP, Normandy, Rothschild, Cominco American, Pasminco, Western Mining, MIM, Australian Geological Survey Organisation, Geological Surveys of NSW, Victoria, SA.
- Consultancies have lead directly to the discovery of estimated $2-3 billion gold reserves including Acacia Resources Sunrise Dam gold mine 1998-99 ($0.5 billion).
- Recent consultancies include 16 of the top 50 gold mines in Australia.
- Consulting embraces
- technical studies and audit of management practices
- technical: field & drillcore mapping, database & laboratory studies, resource definition
- management audit: exploration strategies, mine geology protocols, team operations
- private industry and Government clientele
- international foreign-language consulting via interpreter and personal linguistic skills
- Principal Consultant and subcontracted Associates
- stand-alone office facilities and support
- co-option of James Cook University expert staff and resources as appropriate